Hapgoods shop at 112 High Street, Lymington

The Hapgoods shop at 112 High Street has many references in trade directories as shown in the table below. It seems to have been established by George and Sarah Hapgood around 1850. The business was first run by George and then, after his death in 1867, by his widow, Sarah. Following her death in 1880, it passed to her son, Arthur - and then after his death in 1898 to her grandson Arthur Henry. After his death in 1951 the shop passed out of family ownership but continued to trade as Hapgoods until the early 1980s. The present author visited the shop shortly before the name ceased to be used and picked up the business card shown below. Business card for Hapgoods of Lymington, c. 1980

References in trade directories and local histories

Kelly (tbc)1848No reference. Mrs M. Hampton is shown as an ironmonger trading in the Lymington High Street.
Hunt1851George Hapgood, Ironmonger, High Street
Hunt1852George Hapgood, Ironmonger, High Street
Kelly1859George Hapgood, Ironmonger, High Street
Kelly1867George Hapgood, Ironmonger, High Street
Mercer & Crocker1871Sarah Hapgood, ironmonger, 112 High Street
Kelly1895Arthur Hapgood, Ironmonger, 112 High Street
Kelly1935Arthur Henry Hapgood, Ironmonger and gas and hot water fitter, 112 High Street. Private address: Quamby, Belmore Road.
Lymington Directory1957/8Hapgoods, proprietor G.D. Bonner

Hapgood family history small logo Last updated 16 May 2005